More than 90% of Chinese New Zealanders took at least one domestic holiday trip in the past 12 months, spending approximately $315 million, according to a February 2018 survey prepared by Trace Research (NZ).
As we prepare for the 2019 China-New Zealand Year of Tourism, Trace Research launched the first-ever Chinese New Zealanders’ Domestic Travel Survey.
- 92.7% took at least one domestic holiday trip in the past 12 months
- 2.7 trips – the average number of domestic holiday trips made in the past 12 months
- spent approximately $315 million on domestic holidays in the past 12 months
- top 3 favourite tourism activities:
- natural scenery sightseeing (61.4%)
- hot spring & spa (43.2%)
- hiking (34.4%)
- source of tourism information
- Google (59%)
- WeChat (29%)
- 100% Pure New Zealand (25%)
- top 8 domestic travel destinations
- Rotorua (61.8%)
- Taupo (51.7%)
- Waikato (50.9%)
- Northland (38.3%)
- Coromandel/Bay of Plenty (35.1%)
- Wellington (30.7%)
- Christchurch/Canterbury (29.1%)
- Southern Lakes (26.9%)
Download a summary of the report.